Latest News

May 4th 2018

Halley snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Charlton 9 Halley Football Academy 8

Life is full of mysteries – one of them being how Halley contrived to lose this friendly match against a team coached by Charlton FC after dominating the second half.

In a scrappy first half Lamin put Halley ahead after 5 minutes when a deflection put him through on goal. A few minutes later it was 1-1 when Abdi wasn’t able to clear a back-pass. We nearly conceded again but Ertac cleared from close to the goal-line. A few minutes later we were trailing 2-1 after a low shot from the edge of the penalty area.

Almost immediately we made it 2-2 with Lamin scoring again after another deflection put him through. Edmar could have put us into the lead but shot wide from the edge of the box when he had a clear sight of goal. A poor clearance from Abdi led to us conceding another goal but Edmar made it 3-3 after good play on the left wing from Aaron.

We were gradually improving and could have gone into the lead when Mohammed created a great chance for himself but shot weakly at the goalkeeper. Tola was making some good runs on the right-wing but it was Charlton who went into the lead with a shot from the edge of the box. Marembo came close to equalising with a powerful shot from the right wing, then Mohammed put in Aaron to finish neatly but he was given offside. Tola made it 4-4 at half-time with a fine run and left-footed shot from the edge of the penalty area.

At the start of the second half Charlton nearly scored again when a shot hit the crossbar but gradually Halley started to gain control and to play some good football. Edmar played in Tola but he cut inside and the chance was lost, then Leon shot wide from the edge of the box. Edmar scored his second goal to put us 5-4 ahead following a long through ball from Jordan. Marembo broke up a dangerous attack by Charlton but it was Halley who looked most like scoring again and we went 6-4 ahead when Jordan scored from a tight angle after good build-up play from Edmar. Shortly afterwards Aaron made it 7-4 from a wonderful cross from Jordan.

At this stage Halley looked much the better side and could have scored again when Jordan was in on goal but the goalkeeper saved. That moment proved to be a turning point as Charlton then made it 7-5 when their striker scored from a rebound after a good save by Abdi. A fine finish by Leon made it 8-5 but Charlton pulled the score back to 8-6 after our defence was caught square by a long pass. Edmar nearly scored his hat-trick, hitting the crossbar with a powerful shot after a good passing move, and Leon’s shot from the left edge of the penalty area struck the post.

Charlton attacked and hit the bar and they then made it 8-7 with a header from a corner. Soon afterwards Abdi couldn’t keep out a long free kick that made the score 8-8. Shortly before the end Marembo gave the ball away and Charlton scored the winner.

Although it was disappointing to lose, Halley were clearly the better side and would have won comfortably but for some defensive errors. Our coach was pleased with how the team played and the way they conducted themselves.

Man of the match: Edmar, who was at the heart of most of our creative play.

David Hawthorn – Teaching Assistant, Sixth Form

Written by David Hawthorn